Life changes

Something that I have wanted to put into words for quite awhile is the biggest change that Taylor and I have come across in our 5 years of marriage-- and that is our move from the comfort of familiarity to the unknown. Pharmacy School. Auburn, Alabama. New faces. New places. New job. New house.
If you take everything into account it should have been a scary transition. So many uncertainties and unknowns. We didn't know anything about Auburn or the area. We knew no one. Literally no one.
The whole process was daunting. Where were we going to live? What about daycare? I had to find a new job-- and athletic training was kind of out of the question because of daycare.
But what is amazing about this whole life transition was that we weren't scared.  We weren't even hesitant.  We KNEW this is where God wanted us to be. We KNEW that we were not supposed to remain in Athens. He made that explicitly clear-- I mean how can someone that got accepted to 10
schools not even get an interview at UGA?? What makes UGA's pharmacy school so pristine and unattainable other than God shutting that door, locking it, and throwing away the key? We were faced with the realization that our next 4 year chapter was to be spent elsewhere. Away from all that we knew. Our family, our friends, the jobs that we LOVED! But we honestly were never scared. Heartbroken at times, yes.

It wasn't easy to tell our families that we were going to be moving away. Some were even angry and were not quiet about the way they felt about it. It was hurtful and aggressive but sometimes people do not handle change well. Even when we expressed that this is where God wanted us we heard one phrase that I will never seem to forget-- I have tried and tried. I have let go of the anger but not quite let go of the hurt "I expect you to fail." 5 words that have stayed with me almost an entire year later... Hurtful words that were said to cause pain. They landed their mark. It caused a lot of bitterness deep inside me for months. I finally had to let it go because I know I have said things out of anger before too. Honestly, I believe that most people knew that we were going to be leaving Athens-- it was just one of those feelings. Sadness was felt by many. My friends pretty much knew because I was keeping them abreast of the whole process.

I think my boss was one of the hardest to finally break the news too.  We had worked together for 5 years. We were more like family and friends more so than boss and employee.  We cried together for quite awhile when the decision was final. It was one of the harder things I have had to do. She knew we were making the right decision but it didn't make losing me any easier. And I did not want to leave Emmanuel-- my first serious job. I loved so many things about this job. I made so many friendships that meant a lot to me. I bawled my eyes out on my very last day turning my keys in and shutting the door behind me for the last time. Gosh-- sitting here typing this is wanting to turn on the water works all over again. I still haven't fully come to terms with it-- is that even possible?? I haven't worked at Emmanuel for 8 months but I still feel like I could walk right back in the doors and pick up where I left off. I miss it often. I think about it just about every day.  Emmanuel will always have a huge spot in my heart that will remain sacred to me.



Another heavy spot was leaving our beloved house.  We had hoped to be able to rent it out for 4 years and come back to it but we quickly realized what a headache that could be.  We loved our house but we know that we will find a house that we love even more when the time comes. More than anything we loved our yard-- it was perfect for kids to grow up and play in at the end of a cul-de-sac way off the road.






Fast-forward a couple months, I had been having trouble finding a job. I applied to everything I could find. In a last ditch effort I reached out in a mom group that I was a member of on Facebook to see if by chance anyone knew someone in the Auburn area that might be looking for an administrative assistant and God came through on that! I had an interview set up within a couple days and found out that same evening of the interview that I got the job!! I was overwhelmed with emotion and joy that God had stepped in once again and guided me to where I needed to be. HomeLink Realty has been such a blessing in our lives.  I work with some amazing people that truly care about us and our welfare. They care when Charlotte is sick, they want to know about our family and how Taylor is doing in Pharmacy school. It fills me with joy that I can be right here right now and know I am doing what I need to to help out our little family.
We quickly realized that the housing market in Auburn was not going to be our friend though-- the school system is top notch so everyone wants to live in Auburn versus the surrounding cities.  We met a fantastic lady that pointed us in a direction we NEVER thought would be an option for us... a trailer park community. But we found a cute little trailer, dated, but with a view that is breathtaking. The area is safe and quiet (minus our neighbor's loud-mouth dog). We got judged a little bit for this decision too but I kept having to focus on the fact that we were the ones keeping our family going- we were the ones paying the bills; no one else. What we decided together was what we thought was important in the long run.




Here we are 8 months later and so happy for the decisions that we have made.  We love Auburn. We love the community. Auburn reminds us a lot of Athens and we like to think that we really aren't that far from home. Charlotte is blossoming in day care and we love her teacher. Taylor is doing so well in Pharmacy school and has made some close friends.
People have come to visit us and we have enjoyed every second of that. We are blessed beyond measure and so thrilled that Taylor is finally able to follow his passion of becoming a Pharmacist. God kept saying "Wait." for years because he knew what time he wanted us to start this journey. His plans are always so much better than ours.






~ Anna

Comments

  1. Okay, I cried reading this, sitting at my house. Loved these words and miss you ... but agree 100%! God wanted you there. Love you much, friend!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment